subtitle

[Bits and pieces of books that I want to be able to remember.]

space holder

.

Monday, November 25, 2013

What to read when

Not a book for me right now...but would be interesting for a younger mother.

Here is where, as a parent, you will accompany your child through this essential journey of making choices and finding acceptance, standing up for yourself, and knowing when to forgive.  Books give you ways to talk to your children about these big ideas.  Later, when your child is on the brink of leaving childhood behind, you want to share words with your child  that will help her move more gracefully into young adulthood.  According to the poet Billy Collins, poetry tells the history of the human heart.  But I think that all of great literature maps the human heart, and children's literature knows how to do so best of all.  p. 4

As a child, books were my transport.  Through reading, I discovered worlds of people I had not known before.  I read stories about history and places and people that moved me, reduced me to tears, brought me off of my couch and on a journey that never ended.  p. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment